POLITICAL party Ciudadanos has denounced the practice of freezing Spanish cured hams.
The party claims hundreds of thousands of hams are being frozen each year in a bid to keep their numbers scarce and their prices high.
This is despite a law being passed two years ago which does not list freezing among the stages of production.
Party leaders say it is unfair that consumers are missing out on lower prices, and that the law does not require hams to be labelled as having been frozen, before or after curing.
While experts believe the freezing of the product does not affect its quality for consumers, Ciudadanos leaders are still concerned of the effects.
They are demanding labeling requirements that include mandatory disclosure of the fact that a ham has been frozen and thawed prior to processing.
Jamon prices, depending on the brand, can vary from €20 a pound to more than €100 a pound.
It is one of Spain’s most famous food exports, and continues to grow in notoriety around the world.
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50
- IN PICS: Game of Thrones stars party it up in Spain’s Benidorm for Sophie Turner’s hen do ahead of ‘official’ marriage to Joe Jonas - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:20
- Gibraltar police fuming after rumours ‘falsely claim’ drunk off duty officer started late night brawl at Pig & Whistle pub - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:45
- How a gang sold more than €1.5 million of drugs EVERY WEEK with the help of a Breaking Bad-style family in Cadiz – and how they spent it on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:13