THE UK High Court has been told Theresa May will not trigger Article 50 this year.
Judges considering a legal challenge over Brexit were told by Government lawyers that Britain’s new Prime Minister has made it clear she does not plan to trigger Brexit before 2017.
The timetable was laid out as Deir dos Santos, a British hairdresser, launched his case to try and prevent the PM from kickstarting Brexit without a Parliamentary vote.
High Court Judge Sir Brian Leveson said the case will probably leapfrog the High Court and be heard in the Supreme Court ‘not before the third week’ of October.
He added that the date would give the court sufficient time to study the case before the Government considered triggering Article 50.
“It would be extremely distressing if the Government were to say suddenly we’ll just do it.”
The case has been described as the “most important in constitutional history” and rests on the wording in the Lisbon Treaty.
It states: “Any member state may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements.”
Lawyers argue that decision rests with MPs – the representatives of the people.
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40