THE UK High Court has been told Theresa May will not trigger Article 50 this year.
Judges considering a legal challenge over Brexit were told by Government lawyers that Britain’s new Prime Minister has made it clear she does not plan to trigger Brexit before 2017.
The timetable was laid out as Deir dos Santos, a British hairdresser, launched his case to try and prevent the PM from kickstarting Brexit without a Parliamentary vote.
High Court Judge Sir Brian Leveson said the case will probably leapfrog the High Court and be heard in the Supreme Court ‘not before the third week’ of October.
He added that the date would give the court sufficient time to study the case before the Government considered triggering Article 50.
“It would be extremely distressing if the Government were to say suddenly we’ll just do it.”
The case has been described as the “most important in constitutional history” and rests on the wording in the Lisbon Treaty.
It states: “Any member state may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements.”
Lawyers argue that decision rests with MPs – the representatives of the people.
- Manhunt underway after young woman ‘held down and raped in the street’ by ex-boyfriend and pals in Spain’s Sevilla - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 16:49
- Another swimmer dies off beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 15:22
- British expat pensioner brutally murdered near Spain’s Costa del Sol wanted to move closer to pals in Estepona following husband’s death - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 14:10
- RED ALERT: Warnings across Spain as temperatures to surpass 40C TODAY before scorcher along Costa del Sol on Friday - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 13:22
- British expats in Spain would have ‘strong case’ to sue UK government in case of no-deal Brexit, MP warns - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 12:10
- IN PICS: Luxury lifestyle of Marbella expat couple accused of cocaine trafficking and money laundering as court orders €4 million seizure of assets - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Dead blue whale found floating in Marbella - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 10:39
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13