THE UK High Court has been told Theresa May will not trigger Article 50 this year.
Judges considering a legal challenge over Brexit were told by Government lawyers that Britain’s new Prime Minister has made it clear she does not plan to trigger Brexit before 2017.
The timetable was laid out as Deir dos Santos, a British hairdresser, launched his case to try and prevent the PM from kickstarting Brexit without a Parliamentary vote.
High Court Judge Sir Brian Leveson said the case will probably leapfrog the High Court and be heard in the Supreme Court ‘not before the third week’ of October.
He added that the date would give the court sufficient time to study the case before the Government considered triggering Article 50.
“It would be extremely distressing if the Government were to say suddenly we’ll just do it.”
The case has been described as the “most important in constitutional history” and rests on the wording in the Lisbon Treaty.
It states: “Any member state may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements.”
Lawyers argue that decision rests with MPs – the representatives of the people.
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31