IT was during a teenage trip on a moped around Spain that François Roche fell in love with the Spanish.
Travelling around with a tent for three months, the young Parisian furniture designer really got a taste for its beauty and it’s people.
‘It’s why we launched our first shops in Spain even before Franco died,” explains Roche Bobois CEO Gilles Bonan. “It came well before London and we have always done very well here.
“I remember François telling me about his adventures here and his love of the country and its spirit.”
Indeed, the quality French brand, which was born in the 1950s, has over 20 shops around the country, including one in Marbella.
“It’s the third most important for us but only just after Barcelona and Madrid,” reveals Bonan, a well travelled executive who speaks good English and Spanish having studied at university.
“And it is rising all the time now – particularly with all the super wealthy families who don’t just buy one sofa but kit their whole houses out with our furniture.”
To celebrate the success of their growth in Spain, the company has collaborated with a raft of top Spanish designers to create ten bespoke versions of their iconic Mah Jong sofa.
With the aim to raise money for orphans in Africa, the sofas designed by names such as Rossy de Palma and Agatha Ruiz de la Prada, are set to be auctioned later this year.
The company was an amalgamation of two rival design families in Paris.
“They were so competitive,” explains Bonan, “that they originally could not agree on whose name should come first.
“So for their first few adverts they interchanged with the name Roche first, then Bobois first.”
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00