FEARS of a ‘disaster’ are growing in Torremolinos following several fires that have been started by squatters in an abandoned hotel situated right next to a petrol station.
Hotel Los Alamos has seen squatters repeatedly enter the site and strip it of its furniture, copper cables and doors.
But despite its owners sealing the entrances after various police raids and around 20 arrests, squatters continue to raid the building and vandalise it with graffiti, while the past few months have seen several reports of small fires.
“The petrol station is a stone’s throw away from us and there could be a disaster,” said one concerned resident, “I don’t understand why they don’t renovate the building and put it to some use.”
The hotel closed in 2014 after its parent company Summa Hotels went into liquidation, and it has been the property of the Madrid government’s social security department ever since.
There have been proposals to turn the site into welfare or pensioners’ residence and the Costa del Sol Si Se Puede Political Party has requested the building be handed over to the Torremolinos council, however the Town Hall is powerless to enforce such plans.
The Madrid social security department’s provincial office in Malaga has since sent several reports to the head office but there has failed to be any decision on the building’s future, although it was claimed in April that the government owners want to auction the building.
- Everything you need to know about Spain’s general election on Sunday April 28 - 26 Apr, 2019 @ 13:47
- IN PICS: The women competing for your vote to be crowned Miss World Malaga on the same day as Spain’s general election - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 09:00
- The Online Gambling Industry in Gibraltar - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 14:10
- Heat and sun returns to Spain’s Costa del Sol from Friday with highs of 24C forecast for next week - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:54
- NOT MOO-VING: Moment stubborn cow causes traffic jam on busy A-7 in southern Spain - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:31
- Almost 40% of Spaniards fear Brexit will have a ‘very negative’ impact on Spain’s economy - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:03
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54