SPANISH police have rescued a group of girls as young as 16 from a prostitution ring that forced them to earn at least €1,000 a day.
Some 21 victims, all Nigerian, had been lured to Spain with promises of jobs, but were instead forced to work 14 hours a day on the party island of Ibiza.
A police spokesman said: “If they didn’t earn 1,000 euros a day, they would be forced to kneel for hours and beaten with sticks and brooms.”
Leaders of the ring warned them that their families would be killed if they did not cooperate.
17 of the women had been kept in one small apartment with four girls to a bed.
The video shows the distressed victims sitting with their heads between their knees while police search the premises, uncovering thousands of euros.
An operation carried out by the Spanish police and the Office of Criminal Investigation in Germany and Europol led to the arrest of 24 suspects, including two women ringleaders.
The women, who had been smuggled into Europe on boats and planes, were told they would have to buy their freedom by earning €57,000 for the ring’s leaders.
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27