STEVEN WOOLFE is in serious condition following an altercation at the European Parliament in Strasbourg.
The contender for the UKIP leadership reportedly collapsed after being punched during an altercation with fellow MEP Mike Hookem.
Nigel Farage, who has become the party’s interim leader until someone new is elected, said: “I deeply regret that following an altercation that took place at a meeting of UKIP MEPs this morning, that Steven Woolfe subsequently collapsed and was taken to hospital. His condition is serious.”
The altercation is said to have followed a tense meeting of UKIP MEPs.
According to a source, Woolfe was confronted by Hookem over rumours that he had considered defecting to the Conservatives.
Woolfe is said to have lost his cool following ‘a few choice words’ form Hookem.
The source said: “Steven Woolfe has then taken his jacket off, walked over and said, ‘Right, you outside now’ or words to that effect,”
“They went outside and Steven Woolfe got the brunt of it.”
Reports say Woolfe walked away from the fight at 10am and appeared well enough to vote in the Parliament a mere 30 minutes later.
However he had to leave half way through and collapsed before being taken to hospital.
Farage later said: “Things are mildly better. I have just spoken to Mr Woolfe and I will be going to visit him later this afternoon. We are still waiting for the results. I will be going go visit him in hospital.”
- ‘Paedo’ football coach facing 100 YEARS behind bars for allegedly abusing 25 children in British expat hotspot near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 16:12
- WATCH: Russian-backed ‘Mansions of Banus’ development part of €200 million portfolio penned for Marbella and Costa del Sol - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 15:20
- British man dies after falling off pedalo in Spain despite green flags indicating sea was safe - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 12:33
- UNEARTHED: First Roman olive oil press EVER on Spain’s Costa del Sol as huge archaeology park planned - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 12:17
- British sex pest arrested in Marbella for harassing young woman with barrage of sexually explicit messages - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 11:54
- Boy, 8, dies in Spain after choking on hot dog during San Juan celebrations - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 11:30
- WATCH: Expat gives hilarious guide for boozy Brits heading to Marbella (WARNING: Not for the easily offended) - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 11:02
- SHAMEFUL: ‘Racist’ effigy mocking migrants shocks expats and locals ahead of San Juan celebrations on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 10:42
- OPINION: The Junta de Andalucia’s budgets which benefit residents are a welcome sight after decades of corruption - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 11:44
- Report warns 20% of Spain’s olive farms could disappear within a decade - 22 Jun, 2019 @ 15:05