STEVEN WOOLFE is in serious condition following an altercation at the European Parliament in Strasbourg.
The contender for the UKIP leadership reportedly collapsed after being punched during an altercation with fellow MEP Mike Hookem.
Nigel Farage, who has become the party’s interim leader until someone new is elected, said: “I deeply regret that following an altercation that took place at a meeting of UKIP MEPs this morning, that Steven Woolfe subsequently collapsed and was taken to hospital. His condition is serious.”
The altercation is said to have followed a tense meeting of UKIP MEPs.
According to a source, Woolfe was confronted by Hookem over rumours that he had considered defecting to the Conservatives.
Woolfe is said to have lost his cool following ‘a few choice words’ form Hookem.
The source said: “Steven Woolfe has then taken his jacket off, walked over and said, ‘Right, you outside now’ or words to that effect,”
“They went outside and Steven Woolfe got the brunt of it.”
Reports say Woolfe walked away from the fight at 10am and appeared well enough to vote in the Parliament a mere 30 minutes later.
However he had to leave half way through and collapsed before being taken to hospital.
Farage later said: “Things are mildly better. I have just spoken to Mr Woolfe and I will be going to visit him later this afternoon. We are still waiting for the results. I will be going go visit him in hospital.”
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20