A BRITISH father has been killed in a crash on the Costa del Sol while travelling to the funeral of a family friend.
Eifion Gwynne, 41, a keen rugby player, has been hailed as a hero in his hometown of Llandovery in south Wales, where he was man of the match in their club’s cup-winning side in 2007.
The electrician died after being hit by a car in Malaga on Saturday.
Llandovery RFC’s chairman Handel Davies said: “You couldn’t wish to meet a nicer person than Eifion.
“He was a fantastic person, and a brilliant Welshman of the people. He was everybody’s friend.
“He was also an outstanding rugby player and made lots of friends at Llandovery.
“He is one of those rare people who you feel privileged to have known and a lifelong friend to all who knew him. Our heart goes out to his wife and children in their immeasurable loss.”
His wife Nia, 40, is being comforted at home.
A Foreign Office spokesman said: “We are in contact with Spanish officials regarding the death of a man in Malaga who is believed to be British.”
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29