MARIANO RAJOY is set to secure another term as prime minister after socialist rivals PSOE agreed to abstain in the upcoming confidence vote, ending ten months of deadlock.
The country has been in limbo after two general elections in which no party won a majority and was on the verge of heading to the polls for a third time.
PSOE has decided its members of parliament will abstain in a confidence vote on Mr Rajoy due to be held before October 31, allowing him to form a government.
The Socialist’s decision was carried at a vote of 139 to 96, an indication of the deep divisions within the party, which has been embattled by a leadership challenge following the resignation of its head Pedro Sanchez.
Sanchez quit earlier this month over criticism of his insistence on voting against a Rajoy-led People’s Party (PP) government.
Sanchez’s bid to become prime minister with the support of anti-austerity party Podemos and a smattering of Catalan nationalists had already caused a very public split among in his party.
Despite meeting without a leader, party secretary Javier Fernandez has said PSOE will continue as the opposition to a new PP government.
Podemos leader Pablo Iglesias said the Socialists have effectively agreed to form a “grand coalition” with Mr Rajoy.
- Body of British expat dad pulled from submerged car in reservoir in Spain after he vanished three months ago - 27 Jun, 2019 @ 11:03
- Brazilian soldier from convoy of President Bolsonaro arrested for smuggling cocaine into Spain’s Sevilla after controversial leader vowed to crack down on drugs - 26 Jun, 2019 @ 12:41
- One hospitalised as roaring chemical plant fire in San Roque is brought under control - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 20:27
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37