MARIANO RAJOY has been sworn in for a second term after winning a confidence vote in parliament at the weekend.
The moment ends ten months of political deadlock, which saw two general elections end with no party receiving the necessary overall majority.
The leader of the conservative Partido Popular secured a simple majority in Saturday’s vote, meaning he will rule with a minority government.
He will have an uphill battle on his hands given the deeply divided congress of deputies and the increase of corruption scandals that have embattled his party.
Following the vote at the weekend, thousands of people took to the streets around congress to protest against Rajoy, the corruption allegations and his unpopular austerity measures during his first term.
The PSOE and Podemos parties have vowed to fight the minority government.
PSOE spokesman Antonio Hernando said Rajoy is now ‘under the close watch of everyone in this congress.’
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20