Migrants reportedly set light to paper and clothing to ‘attract’ attention and attacked police who came to the scene.
A confrontation between the two groups left nine officers slightly injured at the camp in Murcia.
Authorities are still searching for the group.
Spain’s seven detention centres hold people living in the country illegally until they decide whether or not to deport them.
But there has been a growing number of riots as detainees and critics say the migrants are living in prison-like conditions.
Javier Monje, the Police Union’s spokesman in Murcia, has called for the centre to be closed, saying it ‘cannot stay open a minute more’, adding that police were under equipped.
Some critics blame the deep public spending cuts imposed by Mariano Rajoy and his conservative government, which they say have caused the conditions to worsen.
The SUP (Police Union) has said that when it rains in centres in the south, detainees are told to simply roll their trousers up to their knees.
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20