SAFFRON farmers have made a comeback in Spain thanks in part to the country’s Michelin star chefs.
The likes of Daniel Lasa from San Sebastian’s Mugaritz restaurant are said to have made the spice cool again, while changes in the market have favoured the once threatened farmers – who in 2007 were only producing 100kg a year collectively.
“Consumers and the trade are now preferring to pay a little more for saffron which has a better aroma and taste than just something that colours the foods,” said Pat Heslop-Harrison, professor of agricultural genetics at the University of Leicester.
Lasa agrees, and only buys the world’s most expensive spice from its perceived capital of Castilla-La Mancha.
“In Spain we treat it as if it were threads of gold,” he says.
“La Mancha’s saffron is much clearer, less bitter.”
It is so revered that some companies are allegedly using foreign versions and labelling them as Spanish.
“We are not against selling saffron from other countries but we think it is defrauding the consumer not to specify clearly the origin of the product,” said Manuel Navarro from the Spanish Association of Saffron Producers.
There are currently 267 saffron producers in Spain who distribute to the US, EU and the UAE, with an average 10-hectare farm capable of producing €50,000 worth of saffron per year at €500 per kilo.
- British RAF pilot brings new – and MUCH cheaper – property listing concept to Spain - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 17:21
- Spain’s Supreme Court bans historic bull hunting and spearing tradition in Castilla y Leon - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 11:00
- Malaga’s ‘Banksy’ attracts world attention replicating masterpieces on the streets of Spain and Europe - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 10:00
- M1 Legal is stacking up the victories against Spain’s Timeshare giants - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 11:13
- How to Improve Academic Writing Skills for UK University Admission - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 09:37
- Giant electricity pylons rampaging across the valley vista in Sierra Nevada - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 18:57
- Living with Gaudi – Turkish art dealer builds home inside iconic tourist attraction - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 18:38
- Spain tops global health league but all is not well for expats - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 16:59
- Lady Elizabeth School, in Benitachell Alicante, is to have its grand inauguration this month - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:32
- How do casino promotions work in Spain? - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:05