A CASH-strapped Spaniard has attempted to sell the Goya award he won with his brother at a Cash Converters after the film they wrote left him close to broke.
Eduardo Bajo Ulloa, who is believed to have been behind the sale, wrote Butterfly Wings with his brother Juanma, and received the best original script award at the Spanish version of the Oscars in 1991.
But the pair suffered so much to get their film made that it almost left them bankrupt.
The bronze award was being displayed in the window of a Cash Converters in Vitoria, their hometown, with a €4,999 price tag, but it had to be removed after the store was inundated with enquiries.
“The award was in the shop but has now been returned after causing a bit of a stir,”
confirmed an employee at the store.
The brothers have yet to comment on the sale of their gong, but after making their film some 25 years ago, they described the financial toll it took on their lives, with one of the brothers, Eduardo, having to mortgage his house to raise enough money to get it made.
One film critic remarked on Twitter: “It’s a real Goya and a demonstration of the precarious state of the Spanish film industry.”
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16