BRITS’ mobile phone charges may be set to soar when they visit the continent post-Brexit.
Mobile phone operators are planning for a worst case scenario of higher call and data charges once the UK finalises its exit from the union.
The networks fear that European companies could seize the opportunity to raise the wholesale cost of calls and data for Britons travelling around Europe because the EU-wide caps implemented by Brussels will no longer apply.
The feared hikes could see Brits pay up to €50 to stream a single song on their phone.
It comes after the European Commission has already indicated that a quick bilateral deal between the UK and the EU on roaming charges will not be possible.
The German commissioner responsible for telecoms policy, Gunther Oettinger, said last year that there are ‘obvious restraints’ as World Trade Organisation rules state that any bilateral agreement outside a comprehensive free-trade deal would have to be extended to all other WTO members.
Industry experts have also warned that negotiating roaming rights as part of any trade deal would be difficult.
Countries like Spain, which receives high numbers of British tourists, may be unwilling to offer good terms because tourist traffic and congestion on networks would be weighted in one direction.
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31