DEPRESSION is responsible for one in four sick days in Spain.
The condition was responsible for 24.4% of lost work days last month in the south European region, which also includes Portugal and Italy.
And anxiety was named as the reason a further 16.8% of workers took sick leave in the southern zone, part of the worst affected region for mental health-induced work absences.
According to the Instituto Hospital del Mar de Investigaciones Médicas, which conducted the study, a total of 36.3% sick days in the region were caused by mental health issues.
Poor mental health caused 27.5% of lost work days in ‘central east’ region of Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands and Northern Ireland and 9.8% in Bulgaria and Romania.
- Behind the green door: Discover Andalucia’s eco village of Los Molinos del Rio Agua - 10 Jun, 2017 @ 10:51
- TAKING THE P***: Campaign launched to move Cordoba mosque toilets because they face Mecca - 8 Jun, 2017 @ 13:01
- Groundbreaking eco Lego style plastic house factory to open in Malaga - 4 Jun, 2017 @ 11:55
- Spain has 10 of the 20 European universities most in demand by Erasmus students - 3 Jun, 2017 @ 10:45
- Malaga Council accused of falsifying hospital statistics - 30 May, 2017 @ 17:50
- Dolphins caught stealing from fishermen - 30 May, 2017 @ 16:49
- UK ELECTION: Olive Press voting guide for British expats - 28 May, 2017 @ 11:46
- Who was George Campbell, one of Andalucia’s best-loved Irish artists? - 28 May, 2017 @ 09:30
- The extraordinary life of Alexander Fleming’s granddaughter as an artist in Andalucia - 27 May, 2017 @ 09:16
- Junta commit to green energy in Andalucia - 26 May, 2017 @ 16:09