A BRITON fell asleep on his yacht in Marbella and washed up on a beach in Cadiz more than 100 miles away.
The unnamed 65-year-old appeared disorientated when he emerged from his boat and realised he was no longer in Marbella but on La Caleta beach in Cadiz.
He was helped from his boat by the Maritime Rescue service and local friemen but did not need medical attention.
A sweeper alerted authorities to the vessel at around 5.50am on Wednesday morning.
The man said he had fallen asleep on the Miss Brenda, the name of his boat, in Puerto Banus.
He believed his anchor broke, allowing his boat to drift away.
Amazingly, the Brit crossed the Straits of Gibraltar without being disturbed.
Upon leaving his boat he only requested a hotel room, and was transferred to a central hotel in the capital of Cadiz.
A spokesman for the local coastguards confirmed: “We were called by the Civil Guard around 5.40am yesterday.
“They were alerted by council workers cleaning La Caleta beach who spotted the yacht heading for rocks as it sounded its siren.
“The vessel had run aground near the shore by the time we mobilised a rescue team so firefighters helped the occupant to safety in the end.”
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37
- BLUFFING MUFFINS: WARNING as batches of ‘fake gluten and dairy free’ magdalenas across Spain at risk of causing widespread allergic reactions - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:27
- IN PICS: Saudi tycoon’s HUGE €200 million yacht arrives on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 13:59
- Life in the laid-back East of the Costa del Sol has never seemed more appealing - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 10:10