AT least one Iberian Lynx has been announced as dead as a result of the devastating Huelva fires.
The adult female died on Sunday during the evacuation process of the El Acebuche captive breeding center, while another 13 adults remain loose.
The center said it in a statement that it only had 15 minutes to evacuate the facility, which meant that they could only remove 14 of the 25 lynxes.
The stress suffered during the capture and transport to a safer place is said to have caused of the death of ‘Homer’, one of the center’s most prolific breeding females who had already given birth to two cubs this year.
In total, nine adult reproductive specimens (five males and four females) and five pups have been rescued and transferred to other nearby centers.
Another 13 adults had their doors and cages left open in case the fire approaches.
Once the center of El Acebuche can be accessed again, workers will have see whether or not they remained or went into the wild, in which case they will be captured again.
Created in 2005, El Acebuche center is one of the oldest in the captive breeding programme and has brought 128 cats into the world.
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40