Joe Furness, 21, figured out that it would be cheaper to fly from Newcastle to London via Spain than it would be to travel on conventional public transport.
In a video posted online, Joe explained that his trip was to ‘show just how ridiculous the UK train fares are’.
Furness wanted to travel to London from Newcastle, but the UK’s National Rail wanted to charge £78.50 (€89.30), even after using his 18-25 railcard, which awards around a third off the price.
Furness found that Newcastle to Menorca, and then on to London Gatwick came to only £26 (€29.50).
So the young Geordie flew to the Balearic and enjoyed a 12-hour-stop-over to soak up some sun and indulge in a cocktail or two.
Instagramming a picture from the beach, Joe wrote:
“Newcastle – London Train £78.50, Newcastle – Menorca £15.99, Menorca – London £10.99, Car hire £7.50, Sex on the beach cocktail £4.
“I can have a night on a Spanish island, hire a car, have a cocktail on the beach, fly back to London and still have £40 left over….. OR I could have sat on a train, What would you have rather done?”
Joe later told the Lad Bible:
“It was pretty surreal, having just arrived from the North of England. There were hundreds of Spanish horse riders on the beach – I grabbed a Sex on the Beach cocktail from the bar and spend the rest of the time relaxing in the sun.”
After a spot of sun, Joe headed back to London to enjoy the delights of the UK capital with some friends and the £40 he saved by not travelling by train.
British rail passengers spend six times more on train fares than their European counterparts.
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27