A CITY in Spain has been blasted for advising residents on how to safely snort cocaine.
It comes after Bilbao’s health department handed out plastic cards, which bore messages reading: “Cut your line well… If it is not well cut, you could damage your nostrils.”
The cards were distributed to people singled out as users or potential users during week-long festivities last month.
— TalkingDrugs (@Talkingdrugs) September 14, 2017
“We didn’t hand them out to just anyone,” he said, adding that each recipient was warned about the dangers of drugs.
News of the campaign only came out this week, sparking criticism from the Partido Popular in Bilbao.
The party said it was ‘real nonsense to hand out a kind of consumption ‘kit’ with such a flippant and frivolous message.’
Bilbao’s health boss Yolanda Diez, said the advice only sought to reduce the risks associated with taking cocaine.
A health service spokesman said around a hundred leaflets had been distributed.
Spain has the highest rate of cocaine consumption in Europe after Britain, according to the EU’s 2017 European Drug Report.
The latest figures, compiled for 2015, found 9.1% of Spaniards aged 15-64 had used cocaine in their lifetime.
Within Europe, only Britain posted a higher rate, at 9.7%.
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52