A CITY in Spain has been blasted for advising residents on how to safely snort cocaine.
It comes after Bilbao’s health department handed out plastic cards, which bore messages reading: “Cut your line well… If it is not well cut, you could damage your nostrils.”
The cards were distributed to people singled out as users or potential users during week-long festivities last month.
— TalkingDrugs (@Talkingdrugs) September 14, 2017
“We didn’t hand them out to just anyone,” he said, adding that each recipient was warned about the dangers of drugs.
News of the campaign only came out this week, sparking criticism from the Partido Popular in Bilbao.
The party said it was ‘real nonsense to hand out a kind of consumption ‘kit’ with such a flippant and frivolous message.’
Bilbao’s health boss Yolanda Diez, said the advice only sought to reduce the risks associated with taking cocaine.
A health service spokesman said around a hundred leaflets had been distributed.
Spain has the highest rate of cocaine consumption in Europe after Britain, according to the EU’s 2017 European Drug Report.
The latest figures, compiled for 2015, found 9.1% of Spaniards aged 15-64 had used cocaine in their lifetime.
Within Europe, only Britain posted a higher rate, at 9.7%.
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27