AN imam accused of making recruitment videos for the sick terrorist group ISIS can be extradited to Spain, a UK court has ruled.
Birmingham-based Tarik Chalioui, 43, is suspected of recruiting fighters for the war in Syria.
The alleged offences relate to two visits to Mallorca in 2014 and 2015.
Chalioui, from Sparkhill, had argued that extradition breached his human rights.
Westminster Magistrates’ Court was told that extradition would compromise the father of eight’s right to a family life under the European Convention on Human Rights.
But Chief Magistrate Emma Arbuthnot disagreed, saying Chadlioui’s family could receive benefits and seek help from his mosque.
“At worst, and I accept it might be a hardship, the oldest two children could go out and get jobs – they are 17 and 18 after all,” she said.
She added that Chadlioui’s wife was suffering from ‘understandable’ depression and anxiety with eight children to look after.
But the judge added: “It may be that she would find her life easier if she were to move back to Belgium with her family where they have lived for many years and where I assume they will be able to obtain the support of friends.”
Chadlioui was one of six people arrested across Europe on June 28 at the request of investigators in Mallorca.
The Moroccan-born Belgian national had protested his innocence.
Last month the court heard claims he had been an ‘anti-terrorist’ preacher for decades and that the videos are anti-jihadist in nature.
Chadlioui remains in custody and has seven days to apply for an appeal.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35