AN imam accused of making recruitment videos for the sick terrorist group ISIS can be extradited to Spain, a UK court has ruled.
Birmingham-based Tarik Chalioui, 43, is suspected of recruiting fighters for the war in Syria.
The alleged offences relate to two visits to Mallorca in 2014 and 2015.
Chalioui, from Sparkhill, had argued that extradition breached his human rights.
Westminster Magistrates’ Court was told that extradition would compromise the father of eight’s right to a family life under the European Convention on Human Rights.
But Chief Magistrate Emma Arbuthnot disagreed, saying Chadlioui’s family could receive benefits and seek help from his mosque.
“At worst, and I accept it might be a hardship, the oldest two children could go out and get jobs – they are 17 and 18 after all,” she said.
She added that Chadlioui’s wife was suffering from ‘understandable’ depression and anxiety with eight children to look after.
But the judge added: “It may be that she would find her life easier if she were to move back to Belgium with her family where they have lived for many years and where I assume they will be able to obtain the support of friends.”
Chadlioui was one of six people arrested across Europe on June 28 at the request of investigators in Mallorca.
The Moroccan-born Belgian national had protested his innocence.
Last month the court heard claims he had been an ‘anti-terrorist’ preacher for decades and that the videos are anti-jihadist in nature.
Chadlioui remains in custody and has seven days to apply for an appeal.
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31