TONY Blair is being tipped as a possible mediator in the Catalan independence crisis.
The former prime minister, who was previously a Middle East peace envoy, is reported to be in line for a role mediating between Madrid and Catalan separatists.
According to the Daily Express, Blair could put his negotiating skills to use with Catalan Prime Minister Carles Puigdemont looking to break away from Spain.
The idea of a third-party mediator in the Catalan crisis has been backed by Blair’s ex-Chief of Staff, Jonathan Powell.
A recent panel of EU and Spanish officials, including Spanish European Affairs Minister Jorge Toledo, were asked for possible candidates, with Blair’s name prominent.
But one UKIP senior member slammed the idea, claiming Blair would side with the Madrid government.
“Tony Blair is an EU fanatic who will do whatever Brussels wants – which in this case is to ignore the wishes of the people of Catalunya,” said Ben Walker.
“He will take the side of the Spanish government and conveniently ignore the fact the Spanish Constitutional Court is not neutral and does the bidding of the government.”
This week the court blocked Catalunya’s parliament from meeting on Monday when Puigdemont was expected to announce Catalunya’s intention to ceded from Spain.
- EXPLAINED: The grey skies and punishing hot winds which arrived on Spain’s Costa del Sol today - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 22:06
- Potimarron Message – Fruits from the heart! - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Tai Chi in the river of Happiness with Master Choy - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 13:59
- Two young Brits rescued from ravine after getting lost on Marbella’s La Concha mountain - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 15:57
- That perfect Spanish afternoon can prove more elusive than first thought, writes Lesley Keith - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 12:19
- ‘I will work hard for you’, promises Bill Anderson, the first ever Brit to serve on Mijas Council - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 17:02
- Figuring out your next career move: Where to start from? - 3 Jul, 2019 @ 10:19
- Online Sports Betting in Spain – Where to Play & What’s Legal? - 2 Jul, 2019 @ 09:16
- A secret escape just 10 minutes from the Costa del Sol - 29 Jun, 2019 @ 09:00
- Creative cuisine has finally started to revolutionise the Axarquia and Costa Tropical’s dining scene - 28 Jun, 2019 @ 11:14