The XI World Junior Padel Championships began with an opening ceremony on Sunday at the El Candado Club in the east of the city.
Running until Sunday, the world’s top boys and girls from each nation will compete against each other, with this year’s entries totalling a record 450 pairs.
Team GB will be competing in the Open Championships and Team Championships, against countries including Spain, Mexico, Argentina and Paraguay.
The junior team will be looking to keep their spot on the podium after finishing third behind Spain and Argentina at the previous world championships in Mexico two years ago.
Boys coach Mauricio Payne told the Olive Press: “If we can repeat our result from Mexico that would be great.
“These guys have been training really hard and anything is achievable for us.”
Padel tennis is a growing phenomenon in Spain and for expats on the Costa del Sol.
This year’s junior world’s has attracted big name sponsors, including Babolat, Adidas, PadelShack, La Reserva Club Sotogrande, Sotogrande International School, Bristow Property Group, Abbeygate Insurance, U-design, Tailormade Healthcare Solutions, and eZeCars.
- Spanish study finds that eating nuts in first trimester of pregnancy improves child brain development - 19 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- JOBS: Marbella’s Starlite Festival looking for 400 workers this summer, find out how to apply here - 14 May, 2019 @ 13:00
- WATCH: Car goes up in flames in Estepona - 13 May, 2019 @ 16:57
- How the British approach to gambling could benefit Spain - 13 May, 2019 @ 14:17
- ABSOLUTE MELTER: Heatwave hits Spain’s Andalucia as temperatures soar to 35C - 11 May, 2019 @ 18:19
- The International Vote is important in Mijas, where a third of the population are foreign, writes Bill Anderson - 11 May, 2019 @ 09:30
- WATCH: Brazen group of men run from boat carrying ‘suspicious’ packages on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 6 May, 2019 @ 20:17
- The Best Casinos in Spain - 6 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- Loraine in Spain - 5 May, 2019 @ 11:58
- Tiger mosquitos on Spain’s Costa del Sol cause surge in holidaying Brits making health insurance claims - 3 May, 2019 @ 15:13