MORE than 57 million tourists visited Spain up until August this year.
The figure is a 9.9% increase on the same period last year.
According to the National Institute of Statistics, 10.4 million foreign tourists came to the country in August alone, up 4% on 2016.
And Brexit hasn’t put off the Brits, with 13.2 million visiting between January and August, a rise of 7.8% on the same period last year.
The UK was followed by France, with about 8.4 million international tourists, an increase of 1.8%, and Germany, which grew by 7.2%, to 8.2 million visitors.
Catalunya was the most visited region in August, receiving 2.6 million visitors and accounting for 24.6% of all foreign tourists.
It was followed by the Balearics, which received 2.4 million foreign tourists – a 2.6% increase – and Andalucia, which attracted more than 1.4 million.
Andalucia saw the biggest increase in international tourists with 5% more coming than last year.
The figures mean Spain is on track to smash last year’s tourism record, which saw the country rake in more than €77 billion from the industry.
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31