MORE than 57 million tourists visited Spain up until August this year.
The figure is a 9.9% increase on the same period last year.
According to the National Institute of Statistics, 10.4 million foreign tourists came to the country in August alone, up 4% on 2016.
And Brexit hasn’t put off the Brits, with 13.2 million visiting between January and August, a rise of 7.8% on the same period last year.
The UK was followed by France, with about 8.4 million international tourists, an increase of 1.8%, and Germany, which grew by 7.2%, to 8.2 million visitors.
Catalunya was the most visited region in August, receiving 2.6 million visitors and accounting for 24.6% of all foreign tourists.
It was followed by the Balearics, which received 2.4 million foreign tourists – a 2.6% increase – and Andalucia, which attracted more than 1.4 million.
Andalucia saw the biggest increase in international tourists with 5% more coming than last year.
The figures mean Spain is on track to smash last year’s tourism record, which saw the country rake in more than €77 billion from the industry.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35