THE PSOE in Malaga are pushing to have the city considered for the title of Culture Capital of Europe.
The socialists say the city has ‘learned from its mistakes’ after missing out on the title last year.
The party will propose this month that the provincial capital put itself forward as a candidate for the honour in 2024.
The PSOE say the Picasso Museum began a new era of cultural attraction that has developed with the creation of other museums, including the Russian, Pompidou, Thyssem, and most recently the Malaga Museum.
Malaga council will have until September 10, 2018 to inform the European Commission of its candidacy, and will have to send the bulk of the documentation by October 18 of the same year.
The PSOE said attaining the title is an ‘important challenge’ and has proposed the creation of a working table in which all social and cultural actors and municipal groups can work together to put together the strongest case.
Spokesman for the party Daniel Perez said ‘we are facing a unique opportunity’ to achieve a recognition that will be ‘tremendously beneficial to the city’.
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19
- Iconic restaurant on Spain’s Costa del Sol divides opinion over sign declaring it ‘Spanish, Catholic and rightwing’ - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 16:54