POLICIA Nacional have launched an investigation after discovering a dead migrant in Malaga this morning.
The 36-year-old had been held in the Archidona prison since November 20 and is reportedly from Algeria, in Africa.
He was found lifeless by guards, who said they tried to resuscitate him, but to no avail.
A court in Murcia authorised the man’s internment in November and ruled he could be held until January 18.
Policia Nacional are investigating the death and say they are awaiting forensic results.
Sources say the evidence points towards a suicide.
Since November, migrants who have been rescued or washed up on the shores of Murcia and Almeria, have been moved to the newly built prison in Archidona.
The Ministry of the Interior justified the controversial decision, saying the prison is currently not in use and that the measure is temporary.
It said a ‘collapse of the system’ due to authorities being overwhelmed left little other options.
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52