FIVE men, including two Brits and two Spaniards, have been arrested after €56 million worth of cocaine was discovered on a private jet.
The half-tonne haul is believed to be one of the largest recent seizures of its kind.
Border Force found 500kg of the Class A drug after searching the aircraft when it landed at Farnborough airport, Hampshire.
It had arrived from Bogota, Colombia on Monday.
An Italian was also arrested after the drug was found stashed in 15 suitcases on board.
Border Force deputy chief operating officer Mike Stepney said: “After meeting the flight and questioning those on board, officers became suspicious and searched the aircraft and their luggage.
“When opened, each case was found to contain between 34 to 37 tape-wrapped packages weighing approximately one kilo each.
“One of these was pierced and a white powder exposed which tested positive for cocaine.”
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13