The study revealed more than 47% of Spaniards aged 18 to 64 are overweight or obese, while one fifth of boys aged 15 to 15 weigh above the average.
The number of girls who are overweight has increased by 100% since 1996.
Andalucia, Asturias and Galicia, have the highest obesity levels, while the Balearic Islands, Catalunya and the Basque Country are among the lowest.
The figures come from a General Directorate of Public Health study published last week.
“All people have an individual responsibility, but in our society the ability to choose a healthy diet at an affordable price is complicated,” said nutritionist Miguel Angel Royo.
Poor exercise and diets too much meat and lacking in fruit and vegetables were cited as fueling the obesity problem.
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15
- Top British rugby player fighting for his life after falling from major Spain airport car park - 20 May, 2019 @ 16:54
- British expat benefits cheat who stole more than €90,000 from UK coffers while living on Spain’s Costa del Sol given 900 YEARS to pay back debt - 20 May, 2019 @ 10:56