A TEACHER from Spain was forced to hide in cupboard with her pupils as a white supremacist went on a killing spree in the US.
Patricia Rivas, from Rioja, was with five students when gunman Nikolas Cruz, 19, opened fire with an assault rifle at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland Florida.
Cruz, who killed 17 people, had pulled the fire alarm to make everyone run outside into his line of fire.
But as Rivas, 40, began to take her pupils outside, she heard a fellow member of staff shout ‘code red’.
— RTVE (@rtve) February 15, 2018
“I heard ‘Code Red Code Red’ and in that moment reacted very quickly, we started to run,” she told RTVE in an interview.
She took her pupils back to the classroom and hid in a cupboard.
They stayed there for about an hour while watching live TV coverage on her mobile phone.
“We stayed silent, I tried to calm everyone down, to keep them quiet,” she said.
Eventually police found them and gave them the all clear to leave.
Rivas, who has been at the school since July last year, found out that one of the students she taught Spanish to had been killed in the massacre.
She added: “It was very intense, very stressful and above all very sad, a tragedy, a nightmare.”
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19
- Iconic restaurant on Spain’s Costa del Sol divides opinion over sign declaring it ‘Spanish, Catholic and rightwing’ - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 16:54