THOUSANDS of dogs and cats are at risk of death in Marbella after the town hall has proposed outsourcing the holding of stray animals to a private company.
Many fear rumours that it wants to bring in El Paraiso, who run a pound in Alhaurin, and which is known for having a no no kill policy.
Izquierda Unida Marbella-San Pedro has blasted the proposal.
“We are opposed to the privatisation of the care service to abandoned animals that the city council has brought to tender,” it said in a statement.
“The PP and OSP condemn most of the animals of Marbella to death with this decision, by leaving their lives in the hands of a private company that will obviously move in strictly economic interests, and set back the respect for life for these animals by 30 years.
“The experience in other municipalities and of similar services provided by private companies has shown that more than 80 % of abandoned animals end up being slaughtered when they spend 10 days there.”
Marbella town hall published the announcement for the provision of the service today.
Triple A, Marbella’s biggest dog sanctuary – who currently receive the stray dogs and cats – are holding an emergency meeting tonight.
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40
- FLAG-RANT: Fabian Picardo steps in after American cruise ship infuriates Gibraltar with ‘Welcome to Gibraltor’ message printed on Spanish flag - 16 May, 2019 @ 11:09
- WATCH: Dramatic rescue after two ‘narco boats’ collide off Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 May, 2019 @ 15:29
- Mystery as expat and two Lithuanians found in busted van carrying €1 MILLION CASH en route to Malaga – but NONE of them claim ownership - 15 May, 2019 @ 12:31
- ‘SOMEONE MUST KNOW’: Grandmother of missing British lad who vanished with his father from Spain’s Costa del Sol makes heartfelt appeal - 15 May, 2019 @ 10:45