Mossos d’Esquadra, the region’s police force, is preparing its case against the officer for his ‘lack of consideration and respect’ towards his superiors.
According to El Mundo, the unnamed officer was reprimanded by the squad sergeant for repeatedly filing case reports in Spanish.
This went against an internal memo from several years earlier, which told all officers to strictly use Catalan.
The Mosso officer refused to write in Catalan after being called in by his seargent, and instead called in three colleagues to hear their opinion.
He went on to call the ban on using Spanish ‘illegal’ and ‘arbitrary’.
The events took place in October 2016, but the case has just been opened against the ‘defiant’ officer, who is currently serving a 16-day suspension without pay and could face more time out of work.
“He created a hostile environment with his defiant behaviour, and his demands and arrogance lasted for some time,” the formal complaint reads.
But his lawyer argues that it’s just an attempt to distract from his client’s ‘opposition to illegal orders’.
The Mossos d’Esquadra’s official language regulations states: “The use of Catalan may be normal or common, even preferred…but never exclusive”.
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18