The president of the Institute of Responsible Tourism Tomas de Azcarate delivered the ‘Biosphere Certificate’ to the tourist attraction this morning.
“The Caminito del Rey is one of the most important experiences that has been put on the market in terms of commitment to sustainability, and it has been exemplary,” said Tomás.
The ‘Biosphere’ certificate is the hallmark of sustainability and carries with it the most credibility and confidence in the international market, as far as the tourism industry is concerned.
It is the only one to incorporate the 17 Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations and directives issued by the Paris Climate Summit.
“We are proud to be awarded this distinction because it means that we are on the right path and we are working to achieve a sustainable destination,” said Costa del Sol’s CEO, Jacobo Florido, also present at the ceremony.
It comes as recent surveys show that tourists increasingly prioritize sustainability when visiting attractions or choosing destinations.
“We must implement sustainability as a basis for the remodelling of the economy towards a more efficient and, above all, more responsible management,” he added.
The ‘Biosphere’ recognition has its highest Spanish representation in Catalunya, something that Malaga wants to change.
“We have the conviction of maintaining tourism without exhausting it,” Florido said.
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31