The president of the Institute of Responsible Tourism Tomas de Azcarate delivered the ‘Biosphere Certificate’ to the tourist attraction this morning.
“The Caminito del Rey is one of the most important experiences that has been put on the market in terms of commitment to sustainability, and it has been exemplary,” said Tomás.
The ‘Biosphere’ certificate is the hallmark of sustainability and carries with it the most credibility and confidence in the international market, as far as the tourism industry is concerned.
It is the only one to incorporate the 17 Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations and directives issued by the Paris Climate Summit.
“We are proud to be awarded this distinction because it means that we are on the right path and we are working to achieve a sustainable destination,” said Costa del Sol’s CEO, Jacobo Florido, also present at the ceremony.
It comes as recent surveys show that tourists increasingly prioritize sustainability when visiting attractions or choosing destinations.
“We must implement sustainability as a basis for the remodelling of the economy towards a more efficient and, above all, more responsible management,” he added.
The ‘Biosphere’ recognition has its highest Spanish representation in Catalunya, something that Malaga wants to change.
“We have the conviction of maintaining tourism without exhausting it,” Florido said.
- Brazilian soldier from convoy of President Bolsonaro arrested for smuggling cocaine into Spain’s Sevilla after controversial leader vowed to crack down on drugs - 26 Jun, 2019 @ 12:41
- One hospitalised as roaring chemical plant fire in San Roque is brought under control - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 20:27
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37
- BLUFFING MUFFINS: WARNING as batches of ‘fake gluten and dairy free’ magdalenas across Spain at risk of causing widespread allergic reactions - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:27