AN ELDERLY British mountaineer has been rescued by officials after he was found hanging onto a cliff edge last night.
The 69-year-old was found by a Guardia Civil rescue unit at around 2am in Las Minas del Rabico, a mountain area in the Picos de Europa national park in northern Spain.
Officials reported that the mountaineer, who was doing the trek alone, had taken the wrong route after becoming confused by thick fog.
After slipping on a steep slope, the man fell around 33 feet and was stuck hanging onto a ledge narrowly avoiding a highly dangerous fall.
Luckily he managed to alert his family in England by using an emergency app on his mobile, who immediately contacted the British consulate and got in touch with the Guardia Civil.
The Brit has since been treated for hypothermia, exhaustion and possible head trauma, after officials set up a tent on the mountain to tend to him overnight.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03