MIGRANTS will have full access to public healthcare as soon as they arrive in Spain, a new draft government decree has proposed.
The draft, which the Health Ministry has sent to regional governments, removes the requirements to have a Social Security card or sign up to the padron.
Regional governments will be able to decide on their own what documents are necessary to access the system in their territory.
“An immigrant will be able to get off the boat, get assistance from the Social Services, and head straight for the local health center,” said a ministry source.
The current 90-day period after arrival, in which access to services are limited as authorities distinguish between travellers and settlers, may now be reduced or eliminated altogether if regional governments agree.
It means universal healthcare would be applied from day one.
Mariano Rajoy’s conservative government eliminated universal healthcare for undocumented migrants in April 2012.
- 11 Reasons Why Over 75,000 International Students Choose to Study in Spain - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 19:05
- Out of this world: ‘Green Spaceship’ to dock in Madrid - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:24
- After a five-year period of sustained growth, there is a change in the air in Marbella, reports Diana Morales Properties - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:14
- Rule-breaking Madrid design firm gives grunge office block some colour therapy - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 18:52
- The latest mega-development for Gibraltar has all the signs of being a big hit with investors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:43
- Madrid architects take centre stage with their dramatic conversion of a historic playhouse - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:25
- BBQ King: Ingenious pellet stove barbecues are a dream come true for cooking outdoors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:09
- Famous British businessman and Premier League football star flock to new Benahavis development - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:08
- Barcelona Unesco treasure hosts Scottish cancer charity’s first care centre on the continent - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:47
- Amazing conversion: how to bring a beautiful old abandoned 18th century townhouse back to life - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:40