PABLO Iglesias has proposed a referendum on bullfighting, amid growing pressure from animal rights activists.
The Podemos leader spoke to Spanish TV channel Telecinco, saying that ‘it would be good to ask people’ and that Spain would not be able to ban the sport ‘by decree.’
The left-wing leader said he agreed with ‘asking citizens in their villages or in certain territories if the majority want bullfighting or not.’
Iglesias’s plans to address the controversial Spanish pastime, which dates back to ancient times, will be welcomed by many in Spain.
In May this year 40,000 protesters took to the streets in Madrid calling for a national bullfighting ban, as well as to remove events involving bulls from the from the national cultural heritage register.
Iglesias said he wanted to ‘democratise’ discussions about the future of bullfighting, but did not comment on other events using bulls, such as those in Pamplona’s San Fermín festival.
Each year in Spain 20,000 bulls are killed and bullfighting was declared a ‘national cultural heritage’ in 2013, meaning it can be supported with public money.
- WATCH: Spain’s Women’s World Cup dreams end as two penalties hand USA 2-1 victory in France - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 12:32
- This is the ONLY beach in Spain included in the world top 10 - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 11:15
- Two men arrested over sexual assault of young woman who was enjoying Costa del Sol San Juan celebrations - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 08:59
- Costa del Sol to see 10% increase in employment this summer compared to 2018 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 14:09
- Bin torching epidemic continues in Spain’s Mallorca as police arrest ANOTHER arsonist while damage totals €370,000 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 13:07
- ‘Heartbroken’ family pay tribute to Irish dad stabbed to death with broken bottles in Costa del Sol pub - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 12:02
- Spanish golfers Garcia and Rahm joined by wealth of British stars at Andalucia Masters on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:30
- RING ROADS AND RUINS: Junta de Andalucia funding motorways, flamenco and sewage in NEW budgets - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:00
- OPINION: The news that a British boy’s death in Mallorca ‘could have been prevented’ is both shocking and sad - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- British expat arrested after Irishman stabbed to death ‘while urinating’ in pub on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 13:53