PABLO Iglesias has proposed a referendum on bullfighting, amid growing pressure from animal rights activists.
The Podemos leader spoke to Spanish TV channel Telecinco, saying that ‘it would be good to ask people’ and that Spain would not be able to ban the sport ‘by decree.’
The left-wing leader said he agreed with ‘asking citizens in their villages or in certain territories if the majority want bullfighting or not.’
Iglesias’s plans to address the controversial Spanish pastime, which dates back to ancient times, will be welcomed by many in Spain.
In May this year 40,000 protesters took to the streets in Madrid calling for a national bullfighting ban, as well as to remove events involving bulls from the from the national cultural heritage register.
Iglesias said he wanted to ‘democratise’ discussions about the future of bullfighting, but did not comment on other events using bulls, such as those in Pamplona’s San Fermín festival.
Each year in Spain 20,000 bulls are killed and bullfighting was declared a ‘national cultural heritage’ in 2013, meaning it can be supported with public money.
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59
- CATALUNYA CRISIS: ‘I am a political prisoner’ says Catalan leader as 12 separatists go on trial in Spain - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 20:48
- ‘I MISS MY BROTHER’: Sister of British expat filmmaker in Spain speaks out after balcony horror plunge puts him in coma - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 18:42
- Spain tourism chiefs call for alcohol ban in airports and say British police ‘have power’ to stop boozing on flights - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:12
- Spain likely to call snap general election as Pedro Sanchez fails to get budget past Parliament - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- REVEALED: Which of Spain’s regions will be having the most sex this Valentine’s Day - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00