PABLO Iglesias has proposed a referendum on bullfighting, amid growing pressure from animal rights activists.
The Podemos leader spoke to Spanish TV channel Telecinco, saying that ‘it would be good to ask people’ and that Spain would not be able to ban the sport ‘by decree.’
The left-wing leader said he agreed with ‘asking citizens in their villages or in certain territories if the majority want bullfighting or not.’
Iglesias’s plans to address the controversial Spanish pastime, which dates back to ancient times, will be welcomed by many in Spain.
In May this year 40,000 protesters took to the streets in Madrid calling for a national bullfighting ban, as well as to remove events involving bulls from the from the national cultural heritage register.
Iglesias said he wanted to ‘democratise’ discussions about the future of bullfighting, but did not comment on other events using bulls, such as those in Pamplona’s San Fermín festival.
Each year in Spain 20,000 bulls are killed and bullfighting was declared a ‘national cultural heritage’ in 2013, meaning it can be supported with public money.
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26
- Around 100 British expats in Spain flying to London for huge Brexit protest THIS SATURDAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:06
- Gibraltarians FUMING after Ronnie O’Sullivan says he’d rather ‘sleep in pig sty’ than play snooker in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:11
- WATCH: ‘Woman not wearing shoes’ sparks bloody brawl on Ryanair flight from UK to Spain - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 10:50
- Neighbours of British expat accused of murdering wife in Spain say he bugged phones and was obsessed with security - 13 Mar, 2019 @ 20:53
- Village in Spain ‘bewildered’ as Robin Hood mystery figure slides cash envelopes of up to €100 under doors - 13 Mar, 2019 @ 19:21