POLICE in Gibraltar have seized £1.35 million worth of cannabis, following a dangerous high-speed sea chase in the early hours of yesterday morning.
Four drug traffickers led the Royal Gibraltar Police (RGP), HM Customs and Gibraltar Defence Police (GDP) on a wild goose chase off Europa Point.
The men sped around the Rock’s southernmost tip in their inflatable boat, powered by three Yamaha 350 HP outboard engines.
The RGP and GDP recovered nine bales of cannabis resin, with a street value of £1.35 million, after the gang dumped it in the sea and fled from Gibraltar’s territorial waters.
“I am delighted that local law enforcement agencies working in close collaboration were able to frustrate a drug trafficking operation of some magnitude,” said RG Police Commissioner Ian McGrail.
He added: “We will continue to work tirelessly to make life difficult for those who engage in illicit activity in surrounding waters and send a clear message to drug traffickers that we will be out there in numbers policing the area to thwart their criminal undertakings.”
- Tourism companies in Spain outraged at being handed limits on daily beach visitors with some as low as 250 per day - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 16:05
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49