POLICE in Gibraltar have seized £1.35 million worth of cannabis, following a dangerous high-speed sea chase in the early hours of yesterday morning.
Four drug traffickers led the Royal Gibraltar Police (RGP), HM Customs and Gibraltar Defence Police (GDP) on a wild goose chase off Europa Point.
The men sped around the Rock’s southernmost tip in their inflatable boat, powered by three Yamaha 350 HP outboard engines.
The RGP and GDP recovered nine bales of cannabis resin, with a street value of £1.35 million, after the gang dumped it in the sea and fled from Gibraltar’s territorial waters.
“I am delighted that local law enforcement agencies working in close collaboration were able to frustrate a drug trafficking operation of some magnitude,” said RG Police Commissioner Ian McGrail.
He added: “We will continue to work tirelessly to make life difficult for those who engage in illicit activity in surrounding waters and send a clear message to drug traffickers that we will be out there in numbers policing the area to thwart their criminal undertakings.”
- DEATH CHEAT: 79-year-old in Gibraltar swims to shore after boat capsizes in dramatic survival feat - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 12:33
- Woman in Spain dies and 18 others sick after eating mushrooms at Michelin-starred restaurant - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:48
- Spain-Morocco railway tunnel talks underway government says - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:01
- WATCH: Dead sheep mysteriously washes up on Gibraltar beach (WARNING: distressing images) - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 18:41
- WATCH: Police in Spain ‘fire rubber bullets’ at Scottish football fans after Benidorm bar ‘torched’ and man arrested for crystal meth - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:08
- Vandalised Malaga cultural centre has CCTV installed in police crackdown on graffiti - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:41
- Hard Rock Cafe confirm second Costa del Sol restaurant WILL open in March, featuring Cher’s trousers and Bon Jovi guitar - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 18:27
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17