SPAIN will close most of its coal mines by the end of the year under a €250 million deal with the unions.
The money will be invested in the 10 affected mining communities over the next decade to help them recover from the shut down.
The agreement also allows miners over 48 years old to seek early retirement and includes re-skilling schemes for those working in new ‘green’ industries.
But over 1,000 miners and subcontractors will be made redundant by the new year closures.
“With this agreement, we have solved the first urgent task we had on the table when we came to government,” said Teresa Ribera, minister for ecological transition.
“Our aim has been to leave no one behind. We also want to go further, we want to innovate.
“That is why we offer the drawing up of ‘Just Transition’ contracts, with the aim of helping the regions to consolidate the employment of the future.”
- Man arrested after squatting Costa del Sol home where British expat allegedly stabbed wife to death and tried to kill himself - 26 Apr, 2019 @ 15:13
- Costa del Sol locals call for safety changes on motorway after lorry horror smash sees driver rushed to hospital - 26 Apr, 2019 @ 12:57
- Family of vanished British man in Spain draft in Maddie McCann’s parents’ PR guru to help - 26 Apr, 2019 @ 10:59
- Gibraltar’s Chief Minister Fabian Picardo will ‘celebrate’ if Brexit cancelled - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 19:28
- Police investigation as British woman in Spain smashed in head by lorry doors and airlifted to hospital - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:59
- British expats in Spain among 100 homeowners to face compulsory purchases of land due to huge pylon network - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:04
- ‘Frightening’ moment on Thomas Cook flight to Spain as squishy cat toy explodes in British seven-year-old’s face - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 16:10
- Spain could snatch €1 billion Royal Navy ship contract ahead of British firms despite wargames over Gibraltar - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 12:40
- Gibraltar to install 17 speed bumps on Rock to protect ‘vulnerable’ baby monkeys from drivers - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 13:44
- Number of Brits on Costa del Sol increases for first time since before Brexit - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:14