POLICE in Catalunya have arrested a man who plotted to assassinate the Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez.
Manuel Murillo Sanchez, 63, who is an expert marksman, planned to kill the Spanish leader over the planned exhumation of former fascist Dictator General Franco’s remains.
Murillo was arrested at his home in Terrassa three weeks ago after a WhatsApp user who he was in a chat group with alerted authorities over his repeated anti-socialist rhetoric.
A dangerous arsenal of 16 firearms, including rifles and a sub-machine gun were found at his property, although Murillo does hold a gun license for his job as a security guard.
He was apparently the top shot at the Vallés Olympic shooting club, but Murillo was silently plotting a ‘lone wolf’ attack to end the ‘red shit’, as he called it, of Sanchez and the PSOEs.
The 63-year-old painted himself as a martyr, writing in the WhatsApp group, ‘I am willing to sacrifice myself for Spain’.
An executive decision was made not report his arrest at the time, but Murillo has been placed in the Brians-2 Penitentiary Center in Martorel near Barcelona.
This foiled assassination plot is the latest incident in the growing tensions surrounding the exhumation of the body of General Francisco Franco from Madrid’s Valley of the Fallen.
Last week saw a protesting artist deface the former dictator’s tomb with red paint, before being dragged away by security as he shouted ‘For the reconciliation of all the Spaniards!’
- Man arrested after squatting Costa del Sol home where British expat allegedly stabbed wife to death and tried to kill himself - 26 Apr, 2019 @ 15:13
- Costa del Sol locals call for safety changes on motorway after lorry horror smash sees driver rushed to hospital - 26 Apr, 2019 @ 12:57
- Family of vanished British man in Spain draft in Maddie McCann’s parents’ PR guru to help - 26 Apr, 2019 @ 10:59
- Gibraltar’s Chief Minister Fabian Picardo will ‘celebrate’ if Brexit cancelled - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 19:28
- Police investigation as British woman in Spain smashed in head by lorry doors and airlifted to hospital - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:59
- British expats in Spain among 100 homeowners to face compulsory purchases of land due to huge pylon network - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:04
- ‘Frightening’ moment on Thomas Cook flight to Spain as squishy cat toy explodes in British seven-year-old’s face - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 16:10
- Spain could snatch €1 billion Royal Navy ship contract ahead of British firms despite wargames over Gibraltar - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 12:40
- Gibraltar to install 17 speed bumps on Rock to protect ‘vulnerable’ baby monkeys from drivers - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 13:44
- Number of Brits on Costa del Sol increases for first time since before Brexit - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:14