DRIVERS in Granada have narrowly cheated death as an enormous five-tonne boulder crashed down onto the carretera.
The N-340 road between Nerja and Torrox was completely closed off yesterday, as engineers began clearing the highway of the 25-metre-cubed rock, which fell at around 4:00pm.
Despite the sizeable chunk off cliff landing near beach bar La Restinga, there were no injuries or fatalities.
The mayor of Torrox, Óscar Medina said: “We have decided to close it as a precaution and estimate it will remain closed for about a week.
“It is not just about removing it,” he continued, “for safety we have to clean all the rocks and eliminate those that are cracked so that the wall becomes compact again.”
It is expected that the huge lump of stone, which broke free from a protective cliff face mesh, will cost over €40,000 to break up and dispose of.
With a history of rock falls in the area the mayor took no chances in sealing off the highway ahead of heavy rain forecasts.
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59
- CATALUNYA CRISIS: ‘I am a political prisoner’ says Catalan leader as 12 separatists go on trial in Spain - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 20:48