DRIVERS in Granada have narrowly cheated death as an enormous five-tonne boulder crashed down onto the carretera.
The N-340 road between Nerja and Torrox was completely closed off yesterday, as engineers began clearing the highway of the 25-metre-cubed rock, which fell at around 4:00pm.
Despite the sizeable chunk off cliff landing near beach bar La Restinga, there were no injuries or fatalities.
The mayor of Torrox, Óscar Medina said: “We have decided to close it as a precaution and estimate it will remain closed for about a week.
“It is not just about removing it,” he continued, “for safety we have to clean all the rocks and eliminate those that are cracked so that the wall becomes compact again.”
It is expected that the huge lump of stone, which broke free from a protective cliff face mesh, will cost over €40,000 to break up and dispose of.
With a history of rock falls in the area the mayor took no chances in sealing off the highway ahead of heavy rain forecasts.
- Boy, 2, dies after falling into swimming pool in Spain’s Malaga - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 11:36
- Andy Murray’s Spanish doubles partner named in Wimbledon match-fixing investigation by police - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 09:46
- Death of British teen in Spain who was third to die at same apartment block ‘could have been prevented’ - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- OH MY GOGH: Gun Van Gogh ‘killed himself with’ to be auctioned off while southern Spain tour of his work continues - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 12:30
- CASTING CALL: Netflix needs male and female extras in Spain’s Andalucia for new drama series - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 10:57
- POSH: Brits Victoria and David Beckham jet into Spain’s Andalucia for celeb wedding of year catered for by Dani Garcia - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 16:54
- WATCH: Shocking moment bullring volunteer in Spain gored to death in front of 2,000 fans as bull ran back into pen - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 12:52
- Facial recognition cameras installed at Gibraltar Airport - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- UK Government denies issuing ‘fresh warning’ of terror threat in Spain - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:34
- UK primary school hires convicted CHILD KILLER from Spain’s Andalucia who stabbed schoolgirl victim 32 times - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:44