DANI Garcia’s self-titled restaurant has just become the second in Andalucia with a prestigious three Michelin stars.
Not only that, but Garcia’s Marbella-based joint was the only one to be awarded three stars – the highest amount available – in Spain and Portugal this year.
It comes after the 2019 Michelin Guide winners were announced in Lisbon last night.
Panellists awarded Dani Garcia’s luxury restaurant for the chef’s ‘unique way of reinventing Andalucian gastronomy in a contemporary form’.
“I have cried tears of happiness with my mother, my daughters, my partner, my team… I’m so happy,” said 42-year-old Garcia on receiving his third honour, “After a 20-year-career, it’s another milestone. Now it’s time to enjoy and reflect.”
— La guía MICHELIN (@GuiaMichelin_ES) November 21, 2018
Angel Leon’s Aponiente in Cadiz, was the first Andalucian restaurant to be awarded the coveted three stars last year.
Malagueno Garcia was awarded his second star with Marbella restaurant Calima in 2010.
“I’m ecstatic to win, but I have a bitter sweet taste in my mouth as I feel the region is not being properly rewarded for its great cooking,” Garcia
told the Olive Press after winning the second accolade.
Through his early training at Martin Berasategui’s three Michelin-starred Guipuzcoa in 1996, Garcia heard a phrase that has been etched into his memory ever since: “Today we have to do better than yesterday and tomorrow, better than today.”
So much so, that Garcia became not only the first chef in Andalucia to win a Michelin star – for his restaurant Tragabuches, in Ronda – but also the youngest to receive one in Spain at the age of 24.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03