A 60-YEAR-OLD woman has died after her apartment went up in flames in Marbella last night.
As the building burnt to the ground her daughter, 40, who has a mental disability, managed to save herself after taking refuge in her bedroom.
The fire alarm went off at 5.55pm in the building on Calle Juan de Quijada in Santa Marta.
Neighbours noticed flames were coming out of the ground-floor apartment and called emergency services.
It was only when they heard the woman’s daughter crying, that they realised people were inside.
It is believed neighbours threw buckets of water through the window, kicked down the front door and grabbed fire extinguishers from a nearby shop.
“But we couldn’t get in because of the flames so close to the door and the heat was unbearable,” a neighbour told Diario Sur.
When firefighters arrived minutes later, they found the mother burnt to death in the living room, where the fire is believed to have broken out.
They were able to save the daughter who had locked herself in her bedroom escaping most of the flames.
She is not in a critical state but is receiving medical attention.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03