A COURT has heard how a Stephen Lawrence murder suspect ‘fled to Spain’ to escape police trying to bust his drugs empire.
Jamie Acourt, 42 was apparently the ringleader of a gang that transported hundreds of kilos of cannabis around the UK between 2014 and 2016.
Originally from Eltham, London, Acourt’s trial began today at Kingston Crown Court after he was arrested at Barcelona airport earlier this year.
Those present heard how in two years Acourt’s drug runners made 34 600-mile-round trips between London and South Shields to sell cannabis resin.
‘Simon Alfonzo’ was the alias used by Acourt as he evaded police for over two years in Spain, after being wanted for the drugs ring he ran with his brother Neil Acourt.
Jurors were reminded that the drug lord had had never been convicted for the racist murder of black 18-year-old Stephen Lawrence in 1993.
Acourt was one of the UK’s most wanted fugitives in Spain, before police snared him at gunpoint in Catalunya in May.
The expat had been seen ‘living it up’ in some of the Costa del Sol’s swankiest bars after he fled the UK.
Prosecutor Crispin Aylett QC said in his opening statement: “Since the delivery men were taking most of the risks and the defendant and his brother were receiving the money, the prosecution allege that the defendant and his brother must have been the ringleaders.”
- REVEALED: These countries made the most asylum applications to Spain so far this year - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48
- Pensioner holidaying on Costa del Sol drowns in front of his wife - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 11:01
- ‘Widespread’ increase in ocean plastic on Costa del Sol with ‘strikingly’ high microplastic levels in Malaga - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 10:27