A COSTA del Sol beach clean up is set to take place this weekend in a bid to tackle the growing problem of plastic waste across the coast.
Plastic Free Seas Worldwide, a Costa del Sol-based charity which runs the monthly beach clean programme, will tackle the shores of Fuengirola on Saturday December 15.
The NGO is calling on volunteers to take part in its final event of the year, in collaboration with Fuengirola town hall.
Co-founders Craig Webb and Natasha Wegloop, said: “Let’s make this final beach clean up of the year our best yet!
“Bring the kids, bring the dog and help us to reach our target of collecting 400kg of plastic from Fuengirola’s beaches.”
New sponsor, Specsavers Opticas Fuengirola has committed to supporting the charity for 2019 and aim to collect 400kg of plastic in just a few hours on Saturday.
It comes after the opticians swapped plastic bags for paper across eight of its Spanish stores – a change which will stop around 7,000 being produced and distributed.
Specsavers Opticas also has an eco range of glasses, with each frame being constructed from recycled or biodegradable acetate in order to have less impact on the environment.
Volunteers will meet at Restaurant Alarcon in Fuengirola at 2.30pm.
Bags are supplied to collect the rubbish but if possible, volunteers are asked to bring gloves with them to reduce the use of plastic at the event.
For more information call 685 283 009 or find Plastic Free Seas on Facebook @plasticfreeseas or visit www.specsavers.es
- ‘Frightening’ moment on Thomas Cook flight to Spain as squishy cat toy explodes in British seven-year-old’s face - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 16:10
- Spain could snatch €1 billion Royal Navy ship contract ahead of British firms despite wargames over Gibraltar - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 12:40
- Gibraltar to install 17 speed bumps on Rock to protect ‘vulnerable’ baby monkeys from drivers - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 13:44
- Number of Brits on Costa del Sol increases for first time since before Brexit - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:14
- Man in Spain arrested over double knife attack at Ryanair check-in desk that saw woman stabbed in ear - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:33
- Tourism companies in Spain outraged at being handed limits on daily beach visitors with some as low as 250 per day - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 16:05
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40