A COSTA del Sol beach clean up is set to take place this weekend in a bid to tackle the growing problem of plastic waste across the coast.
Plastic Free Seas Worldwide, a Costa del Sol-based charity which runs the monthly beach clean programme, will tackle the shores of Fuengirola on Saturday December 15.
The NGO is calling on volunteers to take part in its final event of the year, in collaboration with Fuengirola town hall.
Co-founders Craig Webb and Natasha Wegloop, said: “Let’s make this final beach clean up of the year our best yet!
“Bring the kids, bring the dog and help us to reach our target of collecting 400kg of plastic from Fuengirola’s beaches.”
New sponsor, Specsavers Opticas Fuengirola has committed to supporting the charity for 2019 and aim to collect 400kg of plastic in just a few hours on Saturday.
It comes after the opticians swapped plastic bags for paper across eight of its Spanish stores – a change which will stop around 7,000 being produced and distributed.
Specsavers Opticas also has an eco range of glasses, with each frame being constructed from recycled or biodegradable acetate in order to have less impact on the environment.
Volunteers will meet at Restaurant Alarcon in Fuengirola at 2.30pm.
Bags are supplied to collect the rubbish but if possible, volunteers are asked to bring gloves with them to reduce the use of plastic at the event.
For more information call 685 283 009 or find Plastic Free Seas on Facebook @plasticfreeseas or visit www.specsavers.es
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49
- Two arrested in Spain’s Andalucia over violent drug deaths after bodies dumped down well and car burnt out - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- Thunder and rain from TOMORROW on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 16:46
- Spain pig farm robberies see 15 arrests after man stabbed as thieves bid to raid precious metals more expensive than gold - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 12:20
- British expat fuming after chairs and tables don’t fit into ‘tiny’ new terrace Mallorca town hall painted outside her cafe - 14 Apr, 2019 @ 08:03
- Spain footy star Diego Costa handed eight-match ban and €6,000 fine after red card for telling referee,’I s*** on your w**** mother’ - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 19:08
- Expat killer Dave Mahon loses Supreme Court appeal over sentence for slaying brother of Amy Fitzpatrick, who vanished in Spain - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 13:40