A COSTA del Sol beach clean up is set to take place this weekend in a bid to tackle the growing problem of plastic waste across the coast.
Plastic Free Seas Worldwide, a Costa del Sol-based charity which runs the monthly beach clean programme, will tackle the shores of Fuengirola on Saturday December 15.
The NGO is calling on volunteers to take part in its final event of the year, in collaboration with Fuengirola town hall.
Co-founders Craig Webb and Natasha Wegloop, said: “Let’s make this final beach clean up of the year our best yet!
“Bring the kids, bring the dog and help us to reach our target of collecting 400kg of plastic from Fuengirola’s beaches.”
New sponsor, Specsavers Opticas Fuengirola has committed to supporting the charity for 2019 and aim to collect 400kg of plastic in just a few hours on Saturday.
It comes after the opticians swapped plastic bags for paper across eight of its Spanish stores – a change which will stop around 7,000 being produced and distributed.
Specsavers Opticas also has an eco range of glasses, with each frame being constructed from recycled or biodegradable acetate in order to have less impact on the environment.
Volunteers will meet at Restaurant Alarcon in Fuengirola at 2.30pm.
Bags are supplied to collect the rubbish but if possible, volunteers are asked to bring gloves with them to reduce the use of plastic at the event.
For more information call 685 283 009 or find Plastic Free Seas on Facebook @plasticfreeseas or visit www.specsavers.es
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48
- Pensioner holidaying on Costa del Sol drowns in front of his wife - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 11:01
- ‘Widespread’ increase in ocean plastic on Costa del Sol with ‘strikingly’ high microplastic levels in Malaga - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 10:27
- Costa del Sol toll charges to be scrapped THIS YEAR - 5 Jun, 2019 @ 18:58