A GANG of youths are ‘cloning’ car keys to rob vehicles on the Costa del Sol.
Expat Dave Gosley, 61, has sounded the alarm after he had €2,500 worth of speakers and equipment stolen from his van, despite NO signs of a break in.
The entertainer claims various neighbours have also had equipment and valuables stolen from their cars in Calahonda Park, in Mijas.
“This is the third such incident in my urbanisation,” singer Gosley told the Olive Press.
“One builder woke up to find thousands of euros of tools stolen from his van.”
The robbers are believed to be using key fob cloners that receive a radio frequency as you unlock your car.
They then encode that frequency into another fob – gaining access to your vehicle at a time to suit them.
“It means they are watching and monitoring their targets, it’s really unsettling,” added Gosley, from Basingstoke.”
He claimed the thieves can stand by roundabouts where you pass slowly, or in superstore car parks where they can roam the frequencies at will.
“Another neighbour was ‘blipped’ and the doors locked as she passed a group of young men, one who pointed his arm at the car.”
A quick search on eBay reveals that such cloners are available at the click of a button.
For up to just €70, anyone can buy the small gadgets which can clone practically any wireless key.
Shipped from China, products like the ‘Duplicator Copier Writer Programmer’ even come with a selection of key fobs to create the new keys which, in some cases, will be used to rob cars.
“Do not leave anything valuable in your car or van, especially over the Christmas period,” added Gosley.
Police in Mijas did not respond to the Olive Press.
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20