VOX has agreed to support a centre-right coalition in Andalucia, ending 36 years of Socialist reign.
The anti-immigration party will not enter government, but has made a 37-point agreement with the PP, which includes measures to tackle Islamic fundamentalism and illegal immigration.
It marks the first time a far-right party has had a role in Spanish regional government since General Franco died in 1975.
Yesterday evening Vox pledged its support to a coalition between the conservative PP and centre-right Ciudadanos.
Juan Manuel Moreno, of the PP will be sworn in as the new leader of Spain’s most populous region.
“Today illegal immigration and corruption lose, and the Andalucians, the defence of the family and a more pluralistic politics win,” said Vox deputy leader Javier Ortega.
The Socialist PSOE leader in Andalucia, Susana Diaz, called the regional elections early on December 2.
Vox gained their first ever 12 seats in the region’s 109-seat Parliament, while the PP won 26 and the Ciudadanos 21.
The coalition agreement reached yesterday does not include a repeal of the laws on violence against women, which Vox had been calling for.
A significant backlash against Vox is expected, after 100 feminist groups have already signed a manifesto to stand against the party’s views on gender equality and gender violence law.
Meanwhile, a PSOE spokesperson said Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez’s government regretted the ‘radicalisation seen on the part of the PP and Ciudadanos’.
- Gibraltar to install 17 speed bumps on Rock to protect ‘vulnerable’ baby monkeys from drivers - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 13:44
- Number of Brits on Costa del Sol increases for first time since before Brexit - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:14
- Man in Spain arrested over double knife attack at Ryanair check-in desk that saw woman stabbed in ear - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:33
- Tourism companies in Spain outraged at being handed limits on daily beach visitors with some as low as 250 per day - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 16:05
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33