HIGHLY trained drone pilots helped a drug trafficking ring smuggle more than six TONNES of hashish into southern Spain, police have revealed.
Two of the 12-strong gang were experts in the use of state-of-the-art drones and had been using the unmanned aircraft to check if the coasts were clear from police.
The gang, made up of Spaniards (two women and 10 men), would then unloaded hashish from so-called RHIB boats to the shores of Almeria, the Costa del Sol and Cadiz.
They were rumbled by the UDYCO drug unit this month after being under investigation since last April.
Police intercepted a 600kg drop off the coast of Almeria before raiding four of the gang member’s homes in La Linea.
Eight high-end vehicles, two large boats and a large amount of cash were seized in the raids.
Police also found the latest generation of drones which had been used to carry out patrols along Spain’s southern coastline.
The drones were used to ensure a ‘safe radius’ both along the shores and on the roads behind them.
The traffickers were able to monitor police presence before and during the transportation of the drugs from the boats to the beach and the vehicles waiting for them.
A radar, frequency inhibitor, numerous high-tech communication devices and several state-of-the-art mobile phones were also seized.
The gang was working with several key players in the Campo de Gibraltar’s drug world.
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18