A WHITE rhino, an African lion and Bengal tiger are among the more than 200 hundred animals seized from an illegal taxidermy workshop in southern Spain.
Six people have been arrested on suspicion of possessing and trafficking of protected species after the shocking find in Alicante.
Guardia Civil also found a hippopotamus, African crocodile, African antelope and giraffe.
Most of the taxidermy was carried out on site, without a licence and without the necessary waste management resources.
According to investigators, some of the animals’ body parts may have been discarded into the sewage system, posing ‘a considerable risk to public health’.
The illegal stuffing operation was rumbled after agents discovered posts online which were advertising the animals.
They managed to track the advert down to a taxidermist in Alicante.
The majority of the animals were seized in the warehouse, while more were found at the taxidermist’s home in the town of Mutxamiel.
All animals seized are listed under the United Nation’s Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES), signed by over 180 countries.
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19
- Iconic restaurant on Spain’s Costa del Sol divides opinion over sign declaring it ‘Spanish, Catholic and rightwing’ - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 16:54