FIVE Guardia Civil customs officers have been jailed after they were arrested on Saturday for smuggling tobacco through Gibraltar.
On Monday, La Linea’s Court Number Four ordered that the accused cops, who are also linked to drug trafficking, be refused bail.
Now behind bars, the five law enforcers face additional charges of forgery, bribery, money laundering, membership of a criminal group and failure to prosecute crimes.
The arrest of these Guardia Civil agents marks the second from the Spanish institution in less than a month.
Court sources said the case will be kept secret, as the Internal Affairs Service of the Armed Institute have now begun an investigation.
All five police officers work as customs officials on Spain’s border with the Rock, where they are accused of participating in or facilitating the smuggling of tobacco.
In Andalucia one out of every three cigarettes smoked is illegal, while Gibraltar contributes 38.4% of the region’s black market tobacco.
A sixth person, who is not part of the Guardia Civil has also been detained.
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48
- Pensioner holidaying on Costa del Sol drowns in front of his wife - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 11:01
- ‘Widespread’ increase in ocean plastic on Costa del Sol with ‘strikingly’ high microplastic levels in Malaga - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 10:27
- Costa del Sol toll charges to be scrapped THIS YEAR - 5 Jun, 2019 @ 18:58