MASS bird electrocutions have been recorded in a crucial wetland spanning the provinces of Alicante and Valencia.
Environmental group Pego Viu were alerted to reports of raptor die-offs close to electricity pylons in the Pego-Oliva Marshes through social media.
The group said the lines were notoriously ‘dangerous’ to the 1,250 hectare wetland, which is internationally recognised as one of 74 Ramsar sites in Spain.
“These are not the first nor the last of electrocutions,” a spokesperson for the group said.
“We know the images are not tasteful to see, but it is vital to witness the ignorance of electricity companies and governing entities.”
Birds are electrocuted if they complete a circuit by touching two energised or earthed parts of electricity infrastructure at the same time.
This usually happens when wings touch two conductors. Raptors, such as the eagle-owls and kestrels photographed by Pego Viu, are often most at risk as they have larger wingspans.
The Pego-Oliva Marshes are a safe haven for many pond turtles and wetland birds, such as purple herons and glossy ibis, due to the high-quality fresh water and reed beds just inland from the Costa Blanca.
Pego Viu called upon the town council of Pego to ‘put an end to the electrocution of birds’ by ‘correcting the whole line’.
More to follow…
- Brit fuming as new Bentley is towed away in Benidorm thanks to slow government database - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 17:33
- Valencia gets first UNESCO biosphere reserves with Alto Turia and Valle de Cabriel - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 17:14
- IN PICS: England football legend Paul Gascoigne SPOTTED with fans in Benidorm in run up to public speaking tour - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 16:07
- Spain’s first original Netflix documentary ‘The Alcassar Murders’ released detailing horrific 1992 triple homicide in Valencia - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 15:25
- British tea set recovered from 150-year-old shipwreck on show at unique Costa Blanca maritime exhibition - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 14:00
- SEVEN people stung by Portuguese Man O’War as three beaches closed in Benidorm - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 13:05
- Dustmen denounce ‘lazy’ resident who threw three gas canisters into organic waste bin in Benitachell - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 11:53
- Organic kitchen waste bins required in ALL towns in Valencian Community by 2020 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 11:46
- Turtle unable to dive due to plastic bottles freed in southern Spain - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 11:41
- British-run riding stables faces ‘scam’ eviction after rescuing dozens of horses for 13 years on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 10:56