A MALAGA artist is proving just how beautiful street art can be with his jaw-dropping replicas of some of the world’s most iconic works.
Julio Anaya Cabanding, 23, recreates the works of maestros like Vermeer, Rembrandt and Lucian Freud – complete with trompe l’oeil gilded frames – in derelict and neglected spaces.
The former Malaga University of Fine Arts student, who began drawing from the age of six, replicates classic paintings with incredible accuracy, complete with painted frames.
“I like the idea of ‘stealing’ a painting and putting it in another place, a desolate place that you never relate to it because it does not belong to that world,” the artist told YNG.
“I like to create that conflict. I usually visit these places with a friend who paints graffiti. I am a studio artist and I do not know many places; it was my friend who one day said to me: ‘Hey, let’s paint the street.’ And I said, ‘Ok!’”
His works, now plastered across Andalucia and Europe, are created with acrylic paint that he mixes himself to make sure his replica is as faithful to the original as possible.
He added: “Until recently I had a studio at the university, but I do not need it anymore; my studio is now the street, it is the place I paint at that moment.”
To find out more about his street paintings and upcoming exhibits visit julioanayacabanding.com.
- EXPLAINED: The grey skies and punishing hot winds which arrived on Spain’s Costa del Sol today - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 22:06
- Potimarron Message – Fruits from the heart! - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Tai Chi in the river of Happiness with Master Choy - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 13:59
- Two young Brits rescued from ravine after getting lost on Marbella’s La Concha mountain - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 15:57
- That perfect Spanish afternoon can prove more elusive than first thought, writes Lesley Keith - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 12:19
- ‘I will work hard for you’, promises Bill Anderson, the first ever Brit to serve on Mijas Council - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 17:02
- Figuring out your next career move: Where to start from? - 3 Jul, 2019 @ 10:19
- Online Sports Betting in Spain – Where to Play & What’s Legal? - 2 Jul, 2019 @ 09:16
- A secret escape just 10 minutes from the Costa del Sol - 29 Jun, 2019 @ 09:00
- Creative cuisine has finally started to revolutionise the Axarquia and Costa Tropical’s dining scene - 28 Jun, 2019 @ 11:14