A PETITION to stop the construction of a celebrity-backed chiringuito has received more than 178,000 signatures.
It comes after Dani Garcia’s Bibo Tarifa beach club and an adjoining car park in Valdevaqueros, Cadiz, got the go ahead and began construction several weeks ago.
According to campaigners, Valdevaqueros is one of Spain’s last wild beaches and is part of a Special Conservation Area and Biosphere Reserve for birds.
“Valdevaqueros is one of Spain’s last wild beaches and both locals and visitors alike want to protect it from urbanization,” British campaigner Harry Stevenson told the Olive Press.
“The construction of Dani Garcia’s ‘BiBo’ restaurant proceeds without an Environmental Impact Assessment while the previous SL1 project for this same site (2012) was last year declared illegal by the Tribunal Superior de Justicia de Andalucía for this exact reason – a lack of Environmental Impact Assessment. “
He added that environmentalists have reported a ‘series of infractions’ to the authorities but have not yet heard a response.
“How can the destruction of this cherished natural paradise be ignored?!” added Stevenson.
It comes as the main structure of the ‘BiBo Tarifa’ restaurant on the beach of Valdevaqueros has already been completed.
The beach bar will have no foundations and is instead built on a wooden platform.
The Junta has previously rejected claims by green groups such as Equo that protected species, including the osprey, would be threatened, giving the 43-year-old Marbella-born cook the go-ahead.
The three Michelin-starred chef has forecast that his new eatery, named after his Marbella and Madrid branches, will open in June.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35