A PETITION to stop the construction of a celebrity-backed chiringuito has received more than 178,000 signatures.
It comes after Dani Garcia’s Bibo Tarifa beach club and an adjoining car park in Valdevaqueros, Cadiz, got the go ahead and began construction several weeks ago.
According to campaigners, Valdevaqueros is one of Spain’s last wild beaches and is part of a Special Conservation Area and Biosphere Reserve for birds.
“Valdevaqueros is one of Spain’s last wild beaches and both locals and visitors alike want to protect it from urbanization,” British campaigner Harry Stevenson told the Olive Press.
“The construction of Dani Garcia’s ‘BiBo’ restaurant proceeds without an Environmental Impact Assessment while the previous SL1 project for this same site (2012) was last year declared illegal by the Tribunal Superior de Justicia de Andalucía for this exact reason – a lack of Environmental Impact Assessment. “
He added that environmentalists have reported a ‘series of infractions’ to the authorities but have not yet heard a response.
“How can the destruction of this cherished natural paradise be ignored?!” added Stevenson.
It comes as the main structure of the ‘BiBo Tarifa’ restaurant on the beach of Valdevaqueros has already been completed.
The beach bar will have no foundations and is instead built on a wooden platform.
The Junta has previously rejected claims by green groups such as Equo that protected species, including the osprey, would be threatened, giving the 43-year-old Marbella-born cook the go-ahead.
The three Michelin-starred chef has forecast that his new eatery, named after his Marbella and Madrid branches, will open in June.
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13