POLICE have arrested 30 people involved in a gigalo ring that falsely lured young men to work as escorts for wealthy women.
Officers busted call centres, where criminals are believed to have defrauded around 40 people of €700,000.
False online job adverts promising escort work, urged applicants to call premium-rate numbers.
Telemarketers then kept them talking for as long as possible, outlining fake roles, accompanying wealthy older women, with salaries of up to €700 per service.
Call centre workers lied to the young men, telling them there would be no additional charges, and thus constituting fraud.
Those arrested are mostly Spaniards, and have been held on charges of suspected fraud and membership of a criminal group.
Police blocked the bank accounts of the network’s organisers in Malaga, discovering that those in charge netted around €35,000 a month from the scam.
At one of the main centres, police cuffed six women and a man, who are all Spanish and aged between 18 and 50.
The group’s ringleaders were among 14 detained in the first phase of a police operation, and a further 16 were later arrested.
- REVEALED: These countries made the most asylum applications to Spain so far this year - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48
- Pensioner holidaying on Costa del Sol drowns in front of his wife - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 11:01
- ‘Widespread’ increase in ocean plastic on Costa del Sol with ‘strikingly’ high microplastic levels in Malaga - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 10:27